If you or a family member have suffered a serious injury from a Houston car accident, then you may want to work with a local car accident attorney to file an injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. Our Houston attorney firm has decades of experience in settling car accident lawsuits and taking them to trial and invariably one of the most common questions we get from our clients is how long a claim might take. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer for this, but the following is a quick look at the timeline of the standard car accident case to help you get a better idea of what to expect:
The Basic Timeline of a Houston Car Accident Case
- Seek medical treatment. The most important thing following a car accident is for the victims to seek medical treatment. Seeing a doctor is good both for your health and the claim itself. If you delay longer than a few days, the defense might argue that your injuries were not sufficient.
- Consult with an attorney.In a consultation with a Houston car accident lawyer from a firm, we’ll discuss your claim but may need a few days to look over the given evidence.
- The attorneys investigate. Once your case is accepted, we will complete a more thorough investigation. This includes looking at medical records as well as the site of the accident itself to better understand the events leading up to the accident.
- Making an initial demand. Your Houston car accident lawyercannot make a demand until you or your family member has finished medical treatment or the doctors have given a firm number how much the full scope of your treatment and recovery will cost. Only after they get this number can they make an initial demand against the at-fault party or their insurance company and so this step of the timeline can take months or even over a year.
- File a lawsuit.If the at-fault party or insurance company ignores this demand or otherwise refuses to settle, then the next step is to file a lawsuit. In this scenario, you should be prepared for the case to take up to two years to go to court. During this time, the Houston attorney team will try and negotiate a settlement if possible.
- As the trial approaches, both sides will share all evidence collected during their investigation of the case. Both parties and any witnesses will likely be asked to make a deposition so that both parties can get an understanding of the case.
- Finally, if no settlement can be reached before the trial state date, then it will be up to a judge or jury to hear the facts presented and ultimately determine if the defendant is liable and, if so, how much they are liable for. The trial itself may last just a day or it could last several weeks.
Contact Our Houston Car Accident lawyers
We understand that this process can seem long, but the best way to get you the justice and reparations you deserve following an accident is to get started as quickly as possible. So if you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, don’t delay; call us today!